aeternamente asked: What are your thoughts on Gigi using the company channel to talk about personal/private issues?
By request, here’s a rebloggable version of this answer:
aeternamente asked: What are your thoughts on Gigi using the company channel to talk about personal/private issues? How is that similar to/different from Lizzie and Lydia talking about personal/private issues on their vlogs?
I’m not going to comment or speculate on that- it’s up to you guys to decide how you feel about it. But what I will do is give you a little bit of backstory on how the Gigi spinoff came to be.
As some of you may know, up until recently I worked for Fourth Wall Studios, a transmedia studio creating original online content. At Fourth Wall, I helped to create the series Dirty Work, which won an Emmy last year for original interactive content. I also created and wrote the pilot for a show called Airship Dracula, an animated steampunk reimagining of a section of Stoker’s novel, voiced by Alan Tudyk and Tammin Sursok.
Both of these shows were built on a proprietary platform called RIDES, that synchronized web video with your mobile phone through calls, email and text messages. Later on, there was a companion app that handled synced content in a single place, so it wasn’t at the mercy of the phone networks or text services and offered us greater control of the experience.
When I first came on board the LBD, I brought Bernie in to meet with Fourth Wall to see if there was a way to work together. (And also, honestly, because I had been already pitching a P&P adaptation internally and it wasn’t getting much traction.) They passed on it, but more importantly I got their blessing to join the project outside of work.
Cut to a few months later, and the show is now, y’know, THE SHOW. And we we’re looking ahead to the Lydia downfall arc and thinking of some of the adaptation issues inherent in novel vs. dramatic story structures. It seemed that we needed to see at least something of what Darcy was up to, rather than just having him completely offscreen for the whole time and then finding out later. Something that we’re constantly wrestling with in this adaptation is the agency of the main characters. We want things to turn out well, and we want to stay true to the source material, but we also want our characters to be modern and believable. And let’s face it, all the problems in Pride and Prejudice are solved by really rich men fixing things with their money. So finding a way to make all of these conflicting requirements work is a continuing challenge. Sometimes it seems impossible. Which is why I’ve started referring to this story problem as the “Patriarchy Maru.” You’ll let us know if we end up finding a way to make it work.
Anyway, I brought Bernie into Fourth Wall again, and this time we pitched them on a Gigi spinoff that - rather than YouTube - would be seen on the RIDES platform. It would feature Gigi vlogging, and then you would receive phone calls from Darcy and text messages from Fitz, etc. We were pretty close to nailing that down when Fourth Wall hit a rocky patch and ended up halting new production.
So the idea of a Gigi-centric Ride was dead. But out of the ashes came the Domino concept.
Tagstlbdthe lizzie bennet diariesgigi darcydominofourth wall studiosridesairship draculadirty workpatriarchy marurides.tvpemberley digital
- lizziemcmizzie likes this
- lexigeek likes this
- lucymontero likes this
- larksandlittlebirds likes this
- marioshutup likes this
- winecat answered: dead @ “patriarchy maru”
- bechedor79 likes this
- claraoswaldcomplex likes this
- megustalamusicamariachi likes this
- fisctere likes this
- lies likes this
- lulabo reblogged this from jaybushman and added:
- neverwonnano reblogged this from jaybushman
- neverwonnano likes this
- break-the-fourth-wall likes this
- princessphilomena likes this
- allietumbles likes this
- genderific likes this
- midnightstylus likes this
- tardis-chick likes this
- ambarredstrands likes this
- hobgoblinsandpeachfuzz reblogged this from jaybushman
- brightblueinky likes this
- hobgoblinsandpeachfuzz likes this
- thegirlinthesnogbox likes this
- nonnonmodernist likes this
- jonquila reblogged this from jaybushman
- there-goes-the-no-hitter reblogged this from jaybushman and added:
- quixoticpenguin likes this
- truthbeautyandgoodness likes this
- teabq reblogged this from jaybushman and added:
- pao986 likes this
- goldencages likes this
- clavisa reblogged this from jaybushman and added:
- clavisa likes this
- bexae likes this
- erinink likes this
- kerrikins reblogged this from imaginarycircus and added:
- violasarecool reblogged this from jaybushman
- violasarecool likes this
- weirdgirlsseries reblogged this from jaybushman and added:
- citymusings likes this
- citymusings answered: Idk how it will happen, but it would be interesting to see Wickham’s issues addressed. Find a way to help him so he won’t keep hurting women.
- thura likes this
- awetterversionoftheskies likes this
- matterofawesome reblogged this from jaybushman
- howoregonderful likes this
- polkadotsandplatypi likes this
- matterofawesome likes this